- While drawing designs have students use protractors to create the best corners and folds
- Study angles and shapes as the students try various folds to design their planes.
- Measure the wing span of various birds and compare this to the flight distance and travel time.
- Compare the wingspan of an eagle with that of a hummingbird. (or similar sized birds)
- Once plane is built measure distance it travels in both metric and standard measurements.
-Original designs of paper airplanes and gliders
-Use links from this site to gather information on paper airplanes, aerodynamics and famous aviators.
-Watch videos on planes in flight.
-Basic study of the science of flight.
-How the Wright Brothers got started and persisted.
-Lead your students through the formulas used to come to the conclusion that flight was possible for humans.
1) Famous People
- Research Amelia Earhart
The Wright Brothers
2) History of Flight
- Follow the time line of flight from the first glider to the jets and military planes used today.
3) Geography/Map Skills
- Guide a study and research into the various flight paths of early and current aviators.
2) Field Trip